Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Thursday, March 4, 2010
While most of what I found about myself was, in fact, not very interesting I was refreshed to discover that this blog was, at least, semi-interesting. So I have decided to reclaim it. (It's not too late, is it?) I'm sure I've lost my one stranger-fan Rachel Teran, but I'm doing this for my peeps. Mainly myself. Keep reading.
Friday, August 1, 2008
While I was in Uganda I ate a pineapple a day. I'm not joking or hyperbolizing. They were the most amazing pineapples you'll ever have (and if you do ever have them you might need to argue about this with someone who has lived in Hawaii and thinks their pineapples are better than yours). I'd buy one from a roadside fruitstand for a thousand shillings (50 cents) and eat it for lunch or dessert. The great thing about them is that they never hurt your mouth no matter how much you eat.
It was yummy, and I managed to wheedle in a candle for each of Dave's 26 years (an un-liberating feeling).
The rest of the birthday party was a big success and very fun. Thanks to the MacDonalds for letting us throw it at their house. Here are some shots of the night:
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Gardening. Last week I got a two inch by two inch piece of paper from the manager stating: "If you want a plot in the garden you must come to gardening day tomorrow!" Two things surprised me about the note: the word 'must' and the exclamation point. These things imply that people are clambering for a spot in the Academy Apartments garden. Needless to say I was nonplussed about the whole thing and opted out of gardening day. I thought I'd leave my plot to someone more desperate for a few square feet of dirt.
But that was not the end of it. This Monday my manager came to the door to inform me face to face that I haven't missed my chance to garden (Guess what, there was more dirt under the other grass!) She was hosting FHE corn planting in about 30 minutes and Dave and I were welcome to shovel and hoe in exchange for a coin purse of corn kernels.
We did go to FHE corn planting, and Kristina (our manager) assured us that she will let us know which row is ours soon. (She probably has to weigh how hard we worked versus the quality of the rows and asses our situation first).
I'll keep you updated on the status of our maize, and if nothing else we'll end up with some great popcorn balls.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
One day, when mine and Dave's love was still blossoming, Dave made me dinner. "Wow, this is good," I said, "Next week I'm going to make you my famous enchiladas." Unbeknownst to Dave, my enchiladas are famous for three things: 1. Being cheap 2. Being efficient 3. Being delicious.
All you have to do is buy a pack of frozen enchiladas (I prefer El Monterey Bean and Cheese, but any brand will do), pour a liberal amount of enchilada sauce over them, sprinkle cheese, bake for 45 mins (if frozen) and voila. Jessica's Famous Enchiladas.
Needless to say these have been the brunt of many a joke. Every time we eat dinner with friends, family, what have you, Dave says (mockingly) "Man, you should try Jessica's 'famous' enchiladas."
Monday, May 5, 2008
1. I count my steps when I walk.
2. I conduct converstaions between myself and whoever else I want when I'm in the bathroom. Usually the shower, but sometimes even when I'm getting ready in the bathroom in the morning. I don't know why these conversations are localized to the bathroom. (NOTE: Since I have gotten married these conversations have moved inside my head as I'm still not ready for my husband to know just what a wierdy he has married.)
3. I played Barbies for the better part of eighth grade.
4. I love things that look real, but are smaller than normal size. Examples: Miniature furniture, doll food, babies.
5. When I was seven I broke some key pieces in my sister Robyn's exquisite tea-set, and lied about it. (I'm sorry Robyn, it was me! I know you know, but I had to come clean!) On the up side, I have been baptized since then so it's "all good".
Well, there you have it. Five random things about me, including one confession.
Sorry about using the word "bathroom" three times in number 2.