Monday, March 31, 2008

Bride-a-phobia?

I'm back in Rexburg after a 4 day weekend in beautiful sunny CA. I had the privelege of traveling home for my bridal shower at which I scored 6 square feet worth of home making starter kit swag. It was great to recieve advice and chat with wiser older women, but I have to admit the first fifteen minutes of the shower were some of the most nerve-racking of my life. I sunk into a couch in front of a row of chairs seating several prominent women from my home ward (which from my angle looked more like a panel of judges). I started to sweat. Then they started talking to me. Puddles developed under my arms. At first it all sounded like gibberish, but I managed to get my heart rate low enough to decipher that they were asking me to speak. They wanted me to relay the stories of how Dave and I met and how we got engaged. I told them all well enough and the ladies seemed appeased, but I continued to sweat until the last present was opened. The bridesmaids on either side of me had to place their hands on my back and tell me that I was "doing fine" on more than one occasion.


The point of this all is that I don't know what is wrong with me! Hundreds of women become brides every day and seem to get through the whole ordeal unscarred, but every time an unnecessary amount of attention gets placed on me I hyperventilate. I admitted at my shower that it was only the third I'd ever been to (the other two being my sisters') and that I hated showers. I think I have bride-phobia! That being said, in all seriousness, does anyone know of a good wedding day anti-perspirant?
(Disclaimer for the comic: I'm not actually nervous about this part... I just think this is funny.)

4 comments:

Robby said...

That won't be the last time you'll find yourself sitting in front of a room full of people watching you open gifts that you yourself picked out... and it doesn't get any easier. But you get sweet stuff out of it, so its worth it!! Good luck with your quest for the perfect deodorant!

Jaquilyn Shumate said...

CERTAIN-DRI! HAHAHA. they have it at walmart. its in a box. i had the same problem.. and may in SLC was a little warm last year. this is an anti-perspirant so you will need to wear deodorant as well. but it last for 72 hours! hahaha. hope it works for you as well as it did for me!

Dave said...

funny cartoon.

Sara said...

Jessica you did fabulous and everyone loves you, and I say it does get easier next time you can blame it on hormones! Love SARA